For G1’s school play, I had to help make a Seth mask for the Egyptian God of Chaos…
DH: Who’s Seth?
Me: The Egyptian God of Chaos.
G1: That sounds like G2.
There are so many representations of Seth online that it was hard to decide which look to go for. In the end, our team decided to follow this look from Xothique on Deviant Art:
Here’s the end result of our mask…
And how we did it…
How to Make a Seth Mask
- Paper mache cat mask (although if you can get a long nose bird mask it will save you one step)
- Cardboard – it should be thick enough so that it can hold its shape
- Black paint
- Masking tape
- Double-sided tape (the thin type like what you use for scrapbooking)
- Gold paint marker (like the Sharpie one)
- Black fabric – we used black velvet
- Gold fabric (or 1 inch thick gold ribbon will save you having to cut strips of gold fabric)
- Cut two rectangles out of cardboard for the ears and tape them to the ears of the cat’s mask with masking tape.
- Cut a v-shape snout out of cardboard for the nose and tape the inner part of the V together with masking tape so it forms a snout. If you have the long-nose bird mask, you can skip this step.
- Tape the snout to the cat’s muzzle with masking tape. If you have the long-nose bird mask, you can skip this step.
- Paint the mask black.
- When the paint has dried, draw the outline of the eyes with the gold pen.
- Cut a semi-circular piece of black fabric with a radius of 12 inches.
- Cut strips of gold fabric 1 inch thick.
- Using double-sided tape, stick the gold fabric (or ribbons) to the black fabric to form vertical stripes (as shown below)
- Cut off the excess gold strips so it is in line with the black fabric.
- Stitch the hem (dotted line) or stick it down with double-sided tape (like I did)
- Staple or stitch the fabric to the edges of the mask (the straight edge of the fabric with the hem is the part you attach)
And that’s your very easy DIY Seth mask.
- Frodo Baggins Costume
- Harry Potter Costume
- Will Treaty Ranger’s Apprentice Costume
- Shakespeare Costume
- Scorpion Costume
- Lion Costume
- Luke Skywalker Costume
- Ninjago Costume