There comes a time in Math when your child will need to memorise the multiplication tables. Here are 7 resources that will hopefully help make that process a little less painful…
The Times Tales DVD is a two-part video series that has taught hundreds of kids their times tables in an hour. Forget rote memorisation, Times Tales uses entertaining stories to teach multiplication to kids in an animated video that is fun to watch and simple to understand. The kids will then learn how to associate these cute, simple stories with real math using a “memory peg” that allows them to quickly recall abstract multiplication facts. These videos are so fun, your kids will learn their multiplication tables without even knowing it! It’s that easy!
What parents are saying about Times Tales:
“Fun and effective! Did in 2 weeks what other curriculum didn’t do in a year!”
“My kids did NOT want to like this when I first opened it up, but they ended up liking it a LOT! They kept trying to “figure it out” so it took a while for my 2nd and 4th grader to just relax and watch the stories. We followed the recommended pace, and in 2 weeks this DVD solidified what other methods could not do for them in a year! Even my 3 yr old shouts out the answers to some of the quiz questions! Of course she doesn’t understand what she’s learning yet, but when her time comes, learning her multiplication facts will be painless and easy 🙂 Definitely recommend this program to anyone who has stressed over drilling boring multiplication facts into their kids! You WILL Love it! :)” -ML
“I can’t even imagine how many less papers my 5th grade teacher would have had to grade if we had this in my elementary school! We did multiplication drills every single day during our 2nd semester! Using this DVD really beats that.” – Celena J.
What is included?
- Animated video comes on a DVD
- CD includes printable worksheets and flashcards
Designed for 6 to 11 years olds, Hit the Button challenges kids with quick fire questions on number bonds, times tables, doubling and halving, multiples, division facts and square numbers to help them develop their mental maths skills. Regular use of Hit the Button helps children sharpen their recall of vital number facts in a fun way that takes the boredom out of learning multiplication tables.
Hit the Button is also available on:
Multiplication.com is a terrific free Math resource website that helps children memorise their multiplication tables.
Help! Planet Mathemo has run out of energy! Math-Bots are being sent in to re-energise the planet one section at a time. Kids need to use their powers of addition, subtraction and multiplication to save the day! Win Robo upgrades around the maze to make new robots.
Robo Math allows emerging mathematicians to work through story sums – a crucial element of early numeracy. It supports children’s ability to solve problems using addition, subtraction and multiplication through pictorial representations. It also teaches children that addition of two numbers can be done in any order (commutative) and subtraction of one number from another can not.
Robo Math is part of a series of educational games made by educators and has been tested in schools.
Your mission in this sequel to Mystery Math Town is to use math skills and strategy to rescue the dragonflies that are lost in 8 themed museums. Kids will encounter an entirely new cast of characters as they earn talking portraits for their Gallery.
Mystery Math Museum provides a unique and engaging way to practice a range of elementary math concepts for kids ages 6-12 and up with customisable math skills to suit individual players:
- Addition: 0 through 10, 11 through 20, 21 through 50
- Subtraction: 0 through 10, 11 through 20, 21 through 50
- Multiplication: x1, x2, x5, x10 and/or x1 through x10
- Division: ÷2, ÷5, ÷10 and/or ÷2 through ÷10
More Math Apps with Multiplication Components:
- Splash Math – complete Math curriculum aligned to the common core.
- Math Planet (Android, iOS) – Fun math curriculum for Grade 1-8.
- Tower Math (Android, iOS) – The numbers have been turned into monsters by an evil wizard! Add, subtract, multiply and divide to build towers with magic powers that can free the numbers. Use math skills to earn special powers like the Freeze Ray and Magic Rain.
- Math Blaster (Android, iOS) – Hop on your HyperCycle and discover math facts like you’ve never seen them before! Race through levels shooting and dodging fast-flying obstacles to reach the Alien Boss! Use your math skills and smarts to battle and defeat the Alien Boss and unlock new weapons, ammo and more levels!
Navigating by Joy shares this wonderful method of using Lego Blocks to learn multiplication.
This colorful inflatable vinyl ball provides an interactive way for kids to practice multiplication facts outside or during an organized classroom activity. Sample questions include:
- How many toes are in the room?
- How many quarters are in 3 dollars?
Dayna of Lemon Lime Adventures uses this visual way to teach multiplication to her 7-year old. This math craftivity is fun for all ages!
More Activities to Practice Multiplication
- Musical Math with Sue Dickson’s Songs that Teach – This program makes memorizing the facts easy, sure, and fun with catchy songs that allow students to master the facts in no time!
- Multiplication Bingo – Turn the task of memorising multiplication tables into a game of Bingo and have fun while building mastery of multiplication Math facts.
- Multiplication Rap DVD – Kids discover what multiplication is all about, learn facts through 12, and practice skip counting.
- 30 Multiplication Facts Printable Worksheets – This low-cost packet includes 30 printable worksheets, 143 flash cards, six vocabulary word cards, and a multiplication chart.
- A+ Math Multiplication Unit – Build a strong foundation in math with A+ Interactive Math’s multiplication unit.